Art & Design

Maplewell Hall School has a designated Art and Design room that has a wealth of resources to promote creativity and development of skills. It is taught by specialist teachers who are experienced with a wide range of art skills and techniques. The curriculum has been planned to allow students to explore a variety of art techniques, including drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, printing and collage. It is also important that they learn about a wide variety of artists and art movements, both historical and contemporary, European and the wider world. They build on this knowledge throughout Key Stage 3 in order to prepare them fully for the Art GCSE qualification, should students choose to study it.
Within the subject, students will cover the following skills:

Research and analysis
Idea development and evaluation
Sculpture skills in clay, card and mixed media.
Drawing, painting and printing skills
Social skills and communication
Fine and gross motor skills development.

Within the subject pupils are encouraged to work independently so that they are able to build a wealth of skills in preparation for Key Stage 4 when they can choose the subject as a GCSE option. Students work in sketchbooks and on larger scale pieces. It is also important that students experience art in different environments and work with artists outside of the school. This year we are putting in place opportunities for students to work with professional local artists in ceramics and willow, to create sculptures that can be shown to the wider community as well as enhance the school environment.

Year 7
• Students build on basic drawing skills such as tone, mark making for texture, shape, form and proportion.
• Students will learn about colour theory and work in the style of artist Carolee Clark, painting in her style.
• Students explore the properties of clay, creating clay gnomes.
• Students will learn about the Pop Art movement and the artists involved in it. They will produce a card sculpture in a Pop Art style.
• Students explore environmental art and produce a sculpture using natural forms

Year 8
• Students build on basic drawing skills such as tone, mark making for texture, shape, form and proportion.
• Students explore Aboriginal art by learning about the Aboriginal people and their culture and using their knowledge and understanding to create a large-scale class piece which will be displayed in the school grounds.
• Students further develop clay skill by creating fright lights which are inspired by myths and legends.
• Students will look at the Op Art movement and the artists who work in their style, creating their own Op Art inspired pieces.

Year 9

• Students build on basic drawing skills such as tone, mark making for texture, shape, form and proportion.
• Students explore architecture and improve their observational drawing and painting skills. Artist studied include Cathy Read and Hiroshi Manabe.
• Students explore portraiture and the use of abstraction within portraiture.
• Students look at the Hyper Realism movement and hone their drawing and colour skills to show realism within their work.

Year 10 and 11

Students can opt to choose Art and Design at key stage 4. The students complete a GCSE in Art and Design over two years. They will learn the following skills;

Drawing and painting in a variety of styles.
Sculpture and construction techniques.
Use of ICT to complete research and analysis.
Ideas development through experimentation and drawing.
Collage and printing techniques.
Use of photography and digital art.

Students are will complete coursework which comprises of several projects including sweets and cakes, portraiture and landscape. Coursework includes research into and analysis of artists, craftspeople and art movements. Students are expected to work from primary and secondary sources and should take and their own photos to work from. They will have to create initial ideas which they develop into final, large scale pieces.
For students completing their GCSE the summer of 2021, coursework will be the only element they are marked on. In subsequent years coursework will account for 60% of their final grade, with a final 10 hours exam accounting for the other 40%. For summer 2021 the exam component has been cancelled.