Art & Design

Maplewell Hall School has a recently renovated Art and Design room that has a wealth of resources to promote creativity and development of skills. It is taught by specialist teachers who are experienced with a wide range of art skills and techniques. The curriculum has been planned to allow students to explore a variety of art techniques, including drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, printing and collage. It is also important that they learn about a wide variety of artists and art movements, both historical and contemporary, European and the wider world. They build on this knowledge throughout Key Stage 3 in order to prepare them fully for the Art GCSE qualification, should students choose to study it.
Within the subject, students will cover the following skills:

• Research and analysis
• Idea development and evaluation
• Sculpture skills in clay, card, textiles and mixed media
• Drawing, painting and printing skills
• Social skills and communication
• Fine and gross motor skills development

Within the subject pupils are encouraged to work independently so that they are able to build a wealth of skills in preparation for Key Stage 4 when they can choose the subject as a GCSE option. Students work in sketchbooks and on larger scale pieces. It is also important that students experience art in different environments and work with artists outside of the school. Art trips include visits to the Interactive Van Gogh Exhibition in Leicester and the Leicester City Art Gallery. There are also opportunities for artists to come into school to work with students and develop their skills in a variety of media.

Year 7
• Students build on basic drawing skills such as tone, mark making for texture, shape, form and proportion.
• Students will learn about colour theory and work in the style of artist Mark Hearld, working in his style.
• Students explore the properties of clay, creating clay gnomes.
• Students will learn about the Pop Art movement and the artists involved in it. They will produce a large mural in a Pop Art style to be displayed in the school grounds.

Click HERE for Year 7 pathway

Year 8
• Students explore Aboriginal art by learning about the Aboriginal people and their culture and using their knowledge and understanding to create a large-scale class piece which will be displayed in the school grounds.
• Students further develop clay skill by creating clay pots based on facial features.
• Students will look at the Op Art movement and the artists who work in their style, creating their own Op Art inspired pieces.
• Students will explore felt making techniques creating landscape pieces inspired by Van Gogh’s paintings.

Click HERE for Year 8 pathway

Year 9
• Students explore architecture and improve their observational and one point perspective drawing technique and their painting skills. Artist studied include Lucy Jones, and they will produce work in her collage mixed media style.
• Students will explore the Maori culture and develop sculpture skills. These sculptures will be displayed in the school grounds.
• Students explore portraiture and the use of abstraction within portraiture.
• Students look at the Hyper Realism movement and hone their drawing and colour skills to show realism within their work.

Click HERE for Year 9 pathway

Year 10 and 11
Students can opt to choose Art and Design at Key Stage 4. The students complete a GCSE in Art and Design over two years. They will learn the following skills;

Drawing and painting in a variety of styles.
Sculpture and construction techniques.
Use of ICT to complete research and analysis.
Ideas development through experimentation and drawing.
Collage and printing techniques.
Use of photography and digital art.

Click HERE for Year 10 pathway

Click HERE for year 11 pathway

Students are will complete coursework which comprises of several projects including Sweets and Cakes, Portraiture and The Figure. Coursework includes research into and analysis of artists, craftspeople and art movements. Students are expected to work from primary and secondary sources and should take and manipulate their own photos to work from. They will have to create initial ideas which they develop into final, large scale pieces.
For students completing their GCSE the summer of 2022, coursework will be the only element they are marked on. In subsequent years coursework will account for 60% of their final grade, with a final 10 hours exam accounting for the other 40%. For summer 2022 the exam component has been cancelled.