It is vital that all parents that qualify for free school meals still register their child with the local authority because the additional funding means that these children can benefit from additional school support, a reduction on the cost of the school uniform and class trips. Please ask the school office for more information, or contact the County Council direct by the following options:
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com
- Phone and request an application form on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
- Apply via telephone on 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093
- Fax 0116 3055785
- Download the application form: HERE
- Send the completed form to:
- School Food Support Service
- School Food Support Service
Do I qualify to claim free school meals?
Families of children and young people in full-time education at any school maintained by Leicestershire County Council may be entitled to claim free school meals, providing they receive a qualifying benefit.
The current criteria for claiming free school meals are as follows:
- Income Support (IS)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based)
- Child Tax Credit, provided the annual taxable income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue is not in excess of £16,190. Families who also receive an award of Working Tax Credit do not qualify to claim for free school meals
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Children who receive Income Support (IS) or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals
Temporary qualification for free school meals
From 1st May 2009 where a parent has been entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, they will be eligible to claim free school meals over that period.
Claimants MUST complete a hard copy application form and send it to us with a copy of their Tax Credit Decision Notice, which will be issued immediately by HMRC to a claimant who has notified them that they have stopped working. Applications will not be accepted without this document and free school meals authorisation will not be granted prior to the date of application, or extended beyond the end date shown on the Tax Credit Decision Notice. In order to qualify for free school meals after that date the claimant will need to be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits listed in the previous section, and evidence of this provided.
Other premiums available
Some children may also benefit from the pupil premium if any of the following information applies:
- a special guardianship order
- a child arrangements order
- a residence order
If a pupil has been registered as eligible for free school meals and has also left local-authority care for any of the reasons above, they will attract the PPG.
If you require to know any further information in regards to this information you can contact our admin team or a member of SLT who will confidentially and discreet support you with completing this information