Why introduce a lesson study focusing on Science at Maplewell Hall School?
Students and Teachers
- To continue raising the standards in Science;
- To promote consistency in assessing and marking;
- To continue to promote partnership and development of skills within their area of expertise;
- To promote a growth mindset effectively when approaching Science problems;
- To carry on developing reboots summative assessment to monitor students ‘progress;
What are you going to do – what teaching approaches are you going to use?
- Specific staff to receive bespoke training on chosen interventions;
- Working in partnership with other stakeholders;
- Evidence-based practice, implementation process through research lesson study group and CPD;
- All teaching Science staff to receive training on using a new summative assessment.
- Inter-school collaboration as a part of peer support network
- Head of Department acts as a coach to Focus group in implementing developed summative assessment
- Focus group to coach teachers/support staff/ intervention staff throughout the lifespan of the project
- Educational materials
- Research for a new summative assessment
- Online research to reading including specific vocabulary modules for staff and students
Monitoring and Evaluations
- Staff to film good practice of the teaching of Science, which will then be shared between the foci group;
- The foci group will analyse observations of each lesson and the impact it had on the students learning;
- The foci group will monitor teachers feedback and its impact on students’ progress
- Project lead to monitor the submission of baseline student’s Science ability and ongoing data sets on formative and summative assessment.
- Rigorous, robust summative assessment in Science that enables to monitor students’ progress;
- Identify intervention groups that will benefit from the embedment of Science intervention;
- Share good practice of teaching Science across the department to enable the students to succeed at improving their knowledge and vocabulary in Science;
- Baseline and continued assessments are effectively used to inform a pupil’s next steps;
- Improved students social and emotional development, particularly confidence and self- efficacy ;
- Good and outstanding feedback across the department.