Why introduce a lesson study focusing on numeracy across the school at MHS?
Students and Teachers
- To carry on developing and raising standards in numeracy across the school ;
- To continue promoting a growth mindset effectively when approaching maths problems;
- To develop & expand class teachers’ knowledge, skills and understanding of how numeracy can be embedded across the curriculum;
- To carry on encouraging the development of partnerships between classroom teachers;
What are you going to do – what teaching approaches are you going to use?
- Consistent approach to the use of calculation policy
- Training teachers to improve strategies for teaching and learning of calculation strategies in Mathematics. To ensure that calculation is taught consistently across the school.
- Consistently implement bespoke and whole school interventions aimed at extending students vocabulary in mathematics
- Whole staff training
- Specific staff to receive bespoke training on chosen interventions;
- Working in partnership with other stakeholders;
- Evidence based practice, implementation process through research lesson study group and CPD;
- All staff to receive training on how numeracy can be embedded across the curriculum.
- Inter school collaboration as a part of peer support network
- Training programme for specific staff on numeracy
- Whole school staff training on aspects of embedding numeracy across the curriculum
- Whole school staff training on how to use a calculation policy
- Head of Department acts as coach to Focus group in implementing developed numeracy programme
- Focus group to coach teachers/support staff/ intervention staff throughout the lifespan of the project
- Educational materials
- Research for a new strategies of using mathematics across curriculum
- Online research to reading including specific vocabulary modules in mathematics for staff and students
Monitoring and Evaluations
- Staff to film good practice of the teaching of Numeracy which will then be shared between the foci group;
- The foci group will analyse observations of each non maths lesson and the impact it had on the students learning and development in mathematics;
- Project lead to monitor understanding and attitude of using numeracy across the curriculum– students’ and teachers surveys.
- On–going monitoring of numeracy in class ( Weekly maths challenge) provided by Focus group
- All teachers are teachers of numeracy;
- Raised the standards of numeracy of all of Maplewell Hall School students;
- Developed ability to use numeracy skills effectively in all areas of the curriculum and the skills necessary to cope confidently with the demands of further education, employment and adult life;
- Increased access to maths resources;
- Teachers are equipped with the skills and resources to teach numeracy;
- Share good practice of numeracy across the school to enable the students to succeed at improving their mathematic skills;
- Baseline and continued assessments are effectively used to inform pupil’s next steps;
- Improved students’ social and emotional development, particularly confidence and self- efficacy.